Lovely mud

 Hello, do come in, it's a bit damp, but I've got t' kettle on and it's going to be a beautiful day...

In my art school wanker days, there was one set of images that gripped me more than anything else...and to this day they still haunt and fascinate me. They are the 'Silueta Series' (1973 -78) by Cuban born sculptor, video and performance artist Anna Mendieta. 

 



Mendieta used primarily earth, sometimes flowers, twigs, blood and fire in a ritualistic attempt to create a sense of belonging and re-connect to her exiled homeland. She says she was 'ripped' from her childhood home in Havana (her father was politically imprisoned for eighteen years and Mendieta, along with her sister, were then shuttled between orphanages and foster parents in Iowa, America). 

Although at first glance, some of these ephemeral images may seem morbid, it was in Mendieta's culture to see blood as a powerful thing and the muddy process was meant to be regenerative.

The keen gardener knows the power and potential of earth. Decaying matter will in turn bring the promise of new life and the chance to do better next year: the summoning of earthworms, the sprinkling of 'fish, blood and bone' fertiliser, rotting mounds of compost, the burning of wood resulting in rich potash, and for those patient enough, the formation of the all illusive 'Black Gold' (leaf mold) conjured up from leaf sweepings.

Above: Laying the veggie bed to rest. 

Ok, so these twiggy garden installations do not match the beauty and poignancy on Mendieta's work, but they do mark my own little piece of earth. Who can recall the memory of a feral childhood playing with mud, its smell, distinct texture, the shape of the stones. Surely gardening is just an excuse for adults to make mud pies again.

Turns out arty twigs also stop the local cats crapping everywhere!  

Only leeks and beetroot left now to harvest from the veggie bed. Soon it will be covered in Cornish coast seaweed and allowed to rot down.

Above: The Big Bay Bird of Long Mizzle

Remember that beauty of a pumpkin spotted a couple of weeks ago in the walled garden of old Tremough Campus? ...complete with a 'please do not pick' sign?...
 


Well, we now know its fate. It was not carved for a Halloween lantern, but smashed up shortly after and the pieces laid out for the birds and insects to feed on. I may have taken the opportunity to gather a handful of seeds ;)

Some jobs I have been getting on with at Long Mizzle this week... 

The Cannas were removed from the blue patio pots. Slicing each clump clean in two, I then re-potted them in some old florist buckets, gave them a good watering and popped them in the greenhouse, along with the Penstemons, which are also frost tender.


The blue pots have now been planted with a lasagne bulb mix of -

Tulips :Amazing Parrot, Green Wave Parrot, Foxtrot, Quebec | Daffodils: Rose of May | Mixed Crocuses

All topped with pansies, blue Festuca grass and a kitsch purple ornamental cabbage. I hope I haven't overdone it!

Cristine Walkden said on Gardener's Question Time that most people under estimate the amount of water required when planting bulbs in 'lasagne layers'. So, after each layer, I gave it a thorough soak and sprinkle of slow release bulb fertiliser.


Above: Narcissus 'Minnow' miniatures. Below: A bucket of Narcissus 'Scilly White'.


Much greenhouse space jostling has been going on...


The Amaryllis pots will be coming into the house soon, ready for December flowering.

These autumn sown seedlings (Cornflower, Ammi Majus and Achillea 'Cerise Queen') , were started indoors on a window ledge but have now been pricked out, potted on, placed in the greenhouse and told to toughen up.

 

After all that garden work, some home made soup was greatly needed. This week's no fuss, roast it then chuck it all a pan special, included - the last of the homegrown tomatoes, pepper, carrots and chillis, with some shop bought pumpkin and onion.

<Whoops, I need to add a picture of the finished dish>

I had intended on putting this red onion in my soup, but I spotted a shoot and roots and thought, wouldn't it be fun to grow it indoors! Here's the onion, cleaned up and sat in a vase that had proved too big for a hyacinth bulb.


 The rest of the hyacinths were started into growth, using my mam's remaining vintage bulb vases -

If you missed my post about the story behind the vases and the process of forcing hyacinth bulbs indoors, you can find it here.

(My mam still has some in her garage that we started together, last seen here, but I can't visit due to UK Lockdown (Part 2)... more updates on those next time...)

 

Finally, because I know by now you may be gasping for another cuppa, I'll leave you with some non-gardening news. 

My Monsieur man has been busy making a video for 'MondayFromNowhere', the band he sings (in dulcet Coventry-New Zealand tones) and guitars with, along with his brother (bass) and two old friends (guitar, drums respectively). The genre, I'm told, is 'drock' (dad rock, the 'd' is silent). He is the hairy one and the footage was taken from a recording studio in East Sussex last year (his hair is now almost touching his bottom).

As always, I'd love to hear what you have been up to in the comments section below.

I'm especially looking for good book recommendations!


Take care m'luvelies,


Lulu xXx


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AnvvgpbR8c


MondayFromNowhere full EP '12' available on iTunes, Google Play, Apple Music and Spotify.

 

Latest posts here - https://longmizzle.blogspot.com 




 


Comments

  1. Gosh, Lulu, another great post and music too!!!! Monsieur has a very good voice - couldn't see his face because of the special effects though :( I had never heard of Anna Mendieta. I loved the sculptures you featured - I can't work out, though, are the female form sculptures living or inanimate??? I liked those best. I haven't planted bulbs outside yet - better get a move on - though today I was lucky enough to get some half price allium bulbs. Salivating again admiring your beautiful bulb vases. Will be interested to see how the onion fares. I love to see a busy greenhouse at any time of the year - all that potential. In my opinion, no tub is ever overplanted! I like to see abundance. The ornamental cabbage is gorgeous. I am so disappointed I don't have any this year. Going to meet my family in a cafe this weekend to celebrate older sister's birthday. The only pints will be of water, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catmac! I think Monsieur has a lovely voice (Welsh blood!) but I am biased. He doesn’t like being photographed, but he sort of looks like a young, but hairy Gary Oldman. The female form images are Mendieta herself, one covered in mud and one in flowers. She even used to dare to bury herself – but I am not sure she is in that particular mud mound (?) For years I wanted to see her Super 8 cine films. When I finally got chance to see one, I found it equally as captivating as her still images.

      Good find on the alliums! In Patricia Coccorosis’ book (The Curious History of the Bulb Vase), there is a section on more unusual bulbs/ tubers to try indoor forcing– including alliums, sweet potato and snake’s head fritillary.

      Have a lovely time at your sister’s café birthday! Lulu xXx

      Delete
  2. PS if you like crime, as I do, the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith is good. The Crow Road by Iain Banks is a favourite but it is very Scottish so maybe doesn't travel so well! Ian Rankin is always a good read. I liked the Kate Atkinson series with her detective Jackson Brodie. Another good writer is Christopher (sometimes Chris) Brookmyre (Scottish again! I'm not always so parochial). I enjoyed the Vera books by Anne Cleeves though not the Shetland ones. Thought the TV series was better. Hope that helps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, many thanks Catmac, I will be sure to check some of those out. The Chazza’s are closed ‘till the end of November, but it is good to have a list of books to look out for, as it can be quite overwhelming when facing whole shelves of books! Lulu xXx

      Delete
  3. Hi Lulu, I like that Cuban artist, I would love to sculpt something out of mud - I remember seeing a sand sculpture up at The Embankment a long time ago and the artist let us join in, getting your hands all messy was fun... twiggy gardens are great they look natural, would be fun if the odd twig took root, wouldn't it! The drock music is great (I am a rock fan) and your other half is a good guitarist methinks .. I have two musician brothers, one on drums and one on bass guitar but no claim to music/fame myself other than the school recorder lol! Think the big pumpkin could definitely have been a halloween carving and the birds could still have tucked in after.. I tried to grow one but it shrivelled up. Loving your posts and subscribed - Betty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked Mendieta’s Siluetas Betty. You should sculpt something! The Embankment sculpture sounds like great fun. I have to admit I spent a long time pratting around in the kitchen yesterday ‘cleaning up’ (i.e. squidging about) the kids clay set – lovely stuff. Regarding the sticks, I have had willow and buddlejas taking root before by just ‘sticking’ them, so you never know.

      Glad you like the drock. Both Monsieur and Tris do guitar, and as they all live in different corners of the world now, they’re always sharing audio snippets via the power of the internet. Do your brothers ever play in a band together? If so, I think the recorder, like the triangle, is very under rated and you should definitely join the family band!!!

      Lulu xXx

      Delete
  4. Thank you for that lovely post - I couldn't see the face either but it reminded me of the bands I used to go and see when I was growing up in Manchester in the 1980s.
    I have been planting lasagne pots too - this will be my first attempt.
    Can you use any seeweed on the soil. I live by the beach on the Sefton coastline (Formby) and there is often seaweed there.
    I have just finished a couple of Nicci French novels which I got from my local charity shop after having worked my way through the Strike novels which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    I look forward to your next posts - I am so glad I found you through Vix.
    Take Care,
    Jane X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. Monsieur takes that as a great compliment, as he loves late 80s/ early 90s bands. (I grew up in Manchester too!...although unfortunately I just missed the height of its heydays…and didn’t go to a proper gig until 1994ish)

      I think you can use any seaweed, as long it is not taken too close to the water’s edge, for ecological reasons. I grab mine at the top of the beach, but not the stuff that is too dry or already rotting. Permission is meant to be sought before taking it, but seeing as tractors come and clear the beaches of seaweed here for the tourist season at least twice a year, I don’t think they’ll miss a couple of shopping bags worth.

      Many thanks for the book recommendations. I’m super glad for Vix’s Vintage Vixen blog too, as not only is it wonderful in itself, but she also collects / curates a whole community of great bloggers including yourself & Betty! Lulu xXx

      Delete
  5. Hi Lulu! Thanks for introducing me to Anna Mendieta, what incredible work. Love your interpretation with the twigs to deter cats! I'm fascinated by all mediums of sculpture. The people of Walsall were bequeathed the Garman Ryan collection by Jacob Epstein's wife, Kathleen, as she hailed from the town, amongst the 365 pieces of art are many of Epstein's pieces which are on public display.
    Your soup looks gorgeous and I'm excited about your bulb vases. I look forward to seeing your spring bulbs in all their glory. Mine are all showing green shoots already, that can't be right, can it?
    Jon was so impressed with MoneyFromNowhere, so much so that he got himself a beer and listened to it twice. High praise, indeed!
    Catmac and I have similar tastes in books! I've just started Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna, it's captivated me already. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vix! Thank you, the simple but effective twigs, I’m told, are less scary than the wicker structures I like to make. I’m aware of Epstein, but not that particular collection. What a brilliant thing for his wife to give back to Walsall.

      Shoots are good! It is surprising how quickly they come up isn’t it! They’re like little rockets.

      I told Monsieur about Jon being impressed and he hurried off to text his bandmates! I think that has just made his day – being approved by Madchester royalty!!! – I know the Charlatans were from the mighty midlands, not in fact Manchester (does that reference ever annoy them?), but you know what I mean! (I’d bet they’d have a right old natter together about guitars and kit and crazy stories).

      Lulu x

      Delete
  6. You are reminding me that I should really get out and tend to my neglected garden! I dug up all my tulip bulbs in the summer, after they had flowered I needed to move them. I stupidly stored them in the polytunnel whilst I worked out where to put them and the mice ate the lot......I should get some more but I have no idea where from now as I all my local garden centres have shut up shop this year which is really sad. I guess I will need to look online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, pesky mice!!! That is sad that your local garden centres have closed. I fling my old tulip bulbs in a corner of the garden and have found the only ones to be reliably perennial are ‘Spring Green’. I do think I need to factor in the ‘perennial’ factor a bit more next year, just to save on money ... but I just can't resist beautiful tulips!

      The online retailers usually start cutting tulip prices soon, so although the choice will not be as great, there are sure to be some great bargains to be had! I ordered mine online this year from Scamps - https://qualitydaffodils.com/ and JParkers https://www.jparkers.co.uk/ - both great service. Take care and happy gardening, Lulu x

      Delete
  7. You have been busy - I like those kind of soups though mine is even easier. Fry onions, look n fridge, use whatever veggies are there and chuck them in with lentils and frozen spinach which is great for bulking it up! Lots of herbs and spices....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that soup does sound a bit quicker Sue and I love the idea of using frozen spinach! I have a big bag of under-utilised red lentils. One of my good neighbours makes the most amazing red lentil curry, but I have never been able to re-create it myself (I leave her cut flowers and she leaves me delicious curries and chocolate beetroot cake!) Alas, my cooking techniques are quite limited.

      I have just been over to your book club post to leave a long winded message.

      Lulu x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

Singing to the Seedlings

A good natter in the garden

There's no place like home