Womble to Falmouth Town

Alright m'ansomes! Fancy a womble to Falmouth Town? And a potter around the garden? Let's start with a cup of tea at Long Mizzle...

After all the restless, buffeting rain last week, there was an ahhhhhhhhh moment [cue celestial sounds] as I opened the curtains to find a glorious day waiting. This was the last day before England Lockdown (Part 2) and with a day off from work,  I was determined to make the most of it.


 Taking a turn round the garden, I drank the morning sun light, already swinging though the trees. This leek I allowed to flower, but the others will be soon be eaten in a Homity Pie. 

The greenhouse is a little pot of gold in the mornings.


Could these be the daffodils I planted, appearing already at the foot of the Trachycarpus palm? Primroses have also appeared and the winter pansies look happy sat in the swan planter. 


It is easy on days like this to get carried away and forget that I have to get the kids ready and off to school (unlike the previous lockdown, schools are planning to remain open, so my Maths and English will steadily continue to rust).

Here's our last tub of 'Nantes' carrots tipped out - small yet perfectly formed. I'm not quite sure what this Artichoke is playing at, trying to flower now?! It has had all summer to do that. The Artichokes have been acting very strangely this year. I have my eye on them...


 With the kids packed off to school and the arrival of the supermarket delivery, I popped on Radio 4s Gardeners Question Time. The show is about 40 minutes long, perfect for the time it takes to wipe down all the food, squirrel it away and clean the kitchen. No Bob Flowerdew this week (I love Bob!!!) but Christine Walkden was on the panel, who is just great on the radio and almost as naughty.

All week long, there's been a couple of blackbirds systematically stripping the Hawthorn Tree of its plump red berries. Once I get over the initial fear that I may have to run out and do the *Heimlich* Maneuver on them (the berries are dis-proportionally large)  it is wonderful to watch.

[*Monsieur says I am not allowed to call it the 'Heimlich' any more - it is now called 'Abdominal Thrusts' on First Aid Courses - as the Heimlich family wanted royalties for using the name. Monsieur has also just warned me that I shouldn't even type it, as they may come a knockin' for royalties! ...So can I just put it out there now, I am not advocating doing the 'H' maneuver on Blackbirds, am happy to remove the name if ordered to do so...and I haven't got any money! ]

Right, phew, glad we got that sorted. Let's get off to town!... There's wombling to be done - a six part charity shop crawl, my favorite chazzas being one that is super cheap and full of surprises and one that has the most handsome man working there, with dark aubergine skin, a dazzling smile and always wearing a dapper suit!

I took the route through Kimberley Park. The splendid autumn trees filled me with happiness.

I remember my good gardening neighbour saying that Elephant Ears (Begenia Cordifolia) look a bit 'Council Park' to her. I never really understood that until I started seeing them in parks down here. I think they're lovely plants and they work as a brilliant ground cover for me, with gorgeous pink flowers in the midst of winter. Here they are in the council park, under planting some Tree Ferns.


This is fast becoming one of my favourite trees...


 

After finding my Mam in the first Chazza Shop (you have to lookout  for her big bottom as she's usually ferreting around in a box) and stocking up on some rainy day books (30 p each), we both headed to Falmouth Library, where I reluctantly returned two great gardening books by Louise Curley.

There's a new statue in the foyer which pays homage to the incredible Joseph Emidy - a West African musician (born 1775) who was sold into slavery age 12, sent to plantations in Brazil, then Portugal. Having learnt to play violin to a orchestral level in just three years (he played with the Lisbon Orchestra), he was then kidnapped to entertain sailors with jigs, reels and hornpipes.

Upon arriving a free man in Falmouth in 1799, he married a local girl (they went on to have eight children together), taught violin, led the Truro Philharmonic Orchestra and composed numerous works. What a life and what a man.  

My mam noticed the stone work on the front of the library was covered with Mexican Fleabane Daisies (Erigeron Karvinskianus), even going up to its pointiest peak.

The high street shops were having their last hey-ho before the one month lockdown. Everyone seemed to be behaving themselves and there was lots of pasty banter going on in the pound shop (one of Cornwall's most contentious issues - who makes the best pasty?).

Cornwall has the lowest number of Covid cases in the UK but knows it cannot be complacent - there's only one hospital for the whole county, in Truro.

It is probably an understatement to say I love Falmouth Town and will miss it. I sincerely hope the independent businesses can recover, we noticed some had already closed down.


Back at my mam's, we had a big pot of tea and formulated a plan for our bulb forcing efforts. As I won't be able to visit now, I took the remaining vases and spare bulbs and will start some off in my downstairs toilet. My mam has now been given the task of photographing the progress of the vases in the garage.

Just look at those roots go! The ones started three weeks ago already have a full root system and a green shoot emerging.


By the time I had picked up the kids and returned to Long Mizzle, the sun had swung round and was catching the tops of the vibrant Mahonia flowers (Mahonia x media Charity). They smell divine.

Chasing the sun, every last drop counts...


I hope you are finding your little pot of gold this week. 

I've got yet more bulb planting (tulips this time) and hedge cutting to do. 

What are you up to? Please let me know in the comments section below.

Speak soon m' luvelies,


Lulu xXx


Latest posts here - https://longmizzle.blogspot.com






Comments

  1. Look at that glorious golden sunshine! Hasn't it been a gorgeous week? If lockdown part 2 stays like this I'm more than happy to stay put.
    Those elephant ears are gorgeous, it doesn't look like council planting to me, that's more regimented rows of multi-coloured begonias around these parts!
    I wish you'd taken a photo of that chap in the chazza, you can't beat a bloke in a smart suit, especially an aubergine one.
    Loving the story of Joseph Emidy, West Brom has The Three Degrees, Cyrille Regis MBE, Brendon Batson and Laurie Cunningham, Albion players who overcame prejudice and racism in the dark days of the 1970s. More of these statues please!
    I'm glad your mum's going to keep us up to date with the bulb vase progress.
    Stay safe in Cornwall! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vix, the glorious weather has certainly made up for last week’s wet drip! Cormac (Cornwall council) look after some beautiful gardens down here (Gyllyngdune, Fox Rosehill and Kimberley Park included), so I am not ashamed to take influence from them.

      The chazza shop chap is always impeccably clad, but I fear he would think I fancy him if I ask for a picture, which of course, I do! (It’s ok, Monsieur appreciates handsomeness and dapper suits too when he see it – he loves the tailor from The Sewing Bee).

      Interesting to hear about the West Brom ‘Three Degrees’ footballers. My eldest daughter’s history lessons have positively changed since she’s been back at school – they’ve been learning about the British-Jamaican nurse Mary Seacole who setup the “British Hotel” during the Crimeon War.

      Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Lulu xXx

      Delete
  2. Hi Lulu. Sorry to disagree with both you and Vix but I'm not keen on begenias!!! (My loss, I'm sure!). It's the flower for me as it's such a wishy washy pink - or maybe that's just the variety I had in a previous home? I do appreciate the elephant's ears leaves, though. We've also had some stunning weather here but, I confess, not much gardening has been done. My annuals are still blooming so I'll enjoy the colour while I can! Inspired by you and your mum, I bought a hyacinth in a glass vase. I've yet to spot any gorgeous vintage ones like those in your mum's collection, but I'll keep looking. In a local chazza I managed to buy the bowl of a jug and bowl set where the jug has obviously met its ceramic maker. I intend using that to plant spring bulbs which should look pretty. Your mahonias are absolutely stunning, how vibrant! My childhood memory of Falmouth was how cold the water was to swim in! It felt so much warmer in Newquay! This may be a distorted memory. It was a long, long time ago! Really enjoyed seeing Falmouth vicariously and learning a little of its history. One day I will visit Cornwall again! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catmac, it is funny you should say that about Begenias, as my dad wasn’t mad on the actual flowers either, hence why I now have a patch of them (they duplicate quite quickly don’t they!). It seems to be one of the few plants that do well in my north facing, damp, concrete rubble front garden (the soil is awful). One plant I do have my eye on for its leathery, exotic looking foliage is Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’ – have you come across this one? I’ve only seen it in brochures.

      Exciting news about your hyacinth vase and bulb! You shall have to let me know how it goes. I too love looking for random pots in chazza shops for indoor bulb forcing. It is becoming quite an obsession.

      The water here is officially cold (though I don’t know how it scientifically compares to Newquay – where I also spent a lot of time splashing around as a kid). The last time I went for a swim, my arms turned blue! There are some hard core, all season swimmers here. One lady that I often see swimming (no wetsuit) must be in her eighties, but from behind she looks about thirty – amazingly fit – she even runs up the hill after her sea swim.

      I am really pleased with the Mahonias, they did get moved around a bit before I found their ideal spot. I love getting a whiff of them. The ‘Winter Sun’ mahonia is supposed to smell even sweeter!

      Lulu xXx

      Delete
    2. Just looked up Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’. I'd never heard of it but that is a stunning plant!

      Delete
    3. Lovely isn't it Catmac! I hope to get one for my north facing front garden... to be confirmed... x

      Delete
  3. what a lovely blog you have Lulu, I am now a follower. I love Cornwall and all cornishness. I am interested to see how your bulbs get along indoors, I just planted 90 in dearly departed Ambercat's favourite spot of all kinds of loveliness and really enjoyed getting all muddy in the process. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! Wow, 90 bulbs, you have been busy, and what a nice way to mark your old cat’s favourite spot.

      Mud is very therapeutic isn’t it! I’ll keep you updated on the indoor bulbs.

      Lulu xXx

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely advert for Falmouth - I have never been and am determined to travel more in the UK once lockdown is over. I planted some layered bulbs this weekend and have never tried forced planting. I will have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I swear I don’t work for the tourist board, but I do love it. I wish I’d explored more places when I lived upt’ north in Yorkshire, as it seems like such a drive away now.

      A lovely bulb lasagne! What a great way to spend the weekend. Indoor bulb growing is great fun, the crazier the container the better.

      Lulu xXx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

Singing to the Seedlings

There's no place like home

A good natter in the garden