Spring time news!

 Hello m' soggy bottoms,

 


Long time no gossip! I have some rather exciting news to reveal ...

After two years on the waiting list, I am now proud custodian of a beautiful allotment plot. I received a very exciting email in the last week of March asking if I was still interested in one. Of course the answer was an excited YES and I was offered the opportunity to check out three different plots.


After my Sunday morning sea swim, I arrived looking salty & bedraggled to meet with the lady who manages the old farmer's field on behalf of her father-in-law. Turns out it is the same gorgeous lady that runs my favourite local charity shop.


Initially I thought I'd go for a half-plot. (In the UK, allotments are classed as either full-plot, half-plot, or sometimes even quarter-plot). That was until I saw the full plot on offer, with beautiful established apple trees, gooseberries, raspberries, currant bushes and rhubarb galore. Plus, the plot had another major selling point - a patched up but sturdy shed. It is worth the rent alone just for this - I am calling it my 'plein air rest art studio' and once the resident bird has fled, it will be getting a makeover!


 

My pre-loved plot was previously tended to by an elderly retired teacher, who I was fortunate to meet when looking around. She was very kind and left all sorts of useful items in the shed, including table and chairs from her school days, plus this lovely note -

 
 
Community spirit - leeks from my new allotment neighbour


My initial jobs have included giving the apples trees a hard prune, weeding, strimming the grass paths, clearing a bed ready for onion set planting, plus collecting and laying seaweed down (with help from Mumrah & the littlest one).


     
 April has been a very soggy month, but here's a quick initial peek -


 

Apologies for my recent naughty blogging absence. I'll strive to do better in the future! 

For now I must run though as Monsieur is having a huff & puff in the kitchen about the bin not being emptied and the tea not yet on...

Hope that your are keeping well.


Lulu xXx


Comments

  1. Dear Lulu
    How exciting! It looks a lovely plot with a fabulous view as well. It sounds like you have made a good start and I look forward to following your progress.
    Happy gardening!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a lot of work! :-D
    but i´m sure you will grow the most fabulous veggies and harvesting delicious fruit..... the nest looks like a wren´s nest - we hav one under the canopy over our cellar door and the little owner serenades right in front of the kitchen window.
    have fun! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting project, I'm looking forward to seeing it all progress. The shed is areal bonus and your little helper has already settled into it. Love the red wellies and candystriped joggers!
    Best wishes, David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! The handwritten letter was a nice touch from the previous custodian and from the look of those views, I imagine it's a wonderful place to spend time working the soil.
    Wishing you lots of good growing weather! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger won't allow me to post a comment, only a reply so I am hitching on to Winter Peach!!! Congratulations on your allotment - it's wonderful! you have a shed! a big one and it's crammed with treasure, resident bird and mature fruit bushes - you are super lucky and very deserving - I know the wait for a plot is a long one (I waited nearly 3 years for my 1/4 plot!). I can't wait to read all about your progress - you won't have time to empty the bins - housework will become little and not too often - you have time to get beans, sweetcorn, beetroot and parsnips on the go! Betty xxx (Elderberry-Rob)

      Delete
  5. How exciting, Lulu, even if you'll certainly have your work cut out and might have to temporarily share that shed with the resident bird (and possibly, family). I remember my grandfather's allotment fondly, and my stepdaughter got hold of one a couple of years ago, so I know all your hard work will be more than worth it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely that you have a maternity ward too. You are going to be able to grow so many things. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great is that! A lot of fun (and hard work I guess. All good wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

There's no place like home

A good natter in the garden

All quiet now Dorothy