So long pressure pot June

 Hello m' hot scrumpies,

 

Apologies for my blogging absence. It feels work wise, mentally and physically I have been living in a pressure cooker for the past month This coincided with the hottest June globally on record. Hello El Niño - you arrived too soon. The garden sat thirsty for weeks on end. Some of the luckier beds received buckets of used bath water. A hose pipe ban has been in place in the South West since last summer. The reservoirs are critically low and the water company is scrambling to set up the desalination of seawater. Most plants seem shorter in height this year. The roses however seemed to love the dry heat. 

Dog on quay dutifully watches over sea swimming owner

Now there are reports of a potential maritime heatwave. Since taking up sea swimming, I can confirm the sea is still officially flippin' cold to my skin. My brother says 'knees, hips, nips and tips' is the way to enter the water without shocking the body. The nips seems to be the hardest stage! This morning a gaggle of old Cornish birds strode in without flinching, plus some young bikini clad goddess dolphin dived straight in, head first.

Rain cloud approaching 

The rain had soaked my washing on the line by the time the family & I got back home. That hadn't been the first drama of the day though. Not long after 7am, I saw plumes of thick black smoke rising down by the harbour, followed by sirens and then drifts of white smoke. It was the quayside cafe, now sadly destroyed. Thankfully no one was hurt.
 

Let's get back to garden gossip...

A lovley feathery perennial sunflower purchased for tuppence at a carboot sale last year.

Inula magnifica

The play shed roof's had a fab makeover by hire-a-dad-with-a-hammer. My dad found the wood for free in the B&Q exit bin. Can you believe the two pieces were just the exact right size??? - no sawing needed!!! The thick, quality shed felt was only £5 for a massive roll (lots left over) at the carbooty. I'm so chuffed with it. Doesn't it look handsome again?


 The bed in front is what the littlest one is calling her 'Japanese Anime' patch. This was the new stone edge bed created back in late spring. Now it jostles with french beans, pumpkins, pot marigold and nigella flowers.

Cherie's banana courgettes are starting to come thick & fast -


This bed is full of day lilies, elephant garlic, cannas, sunflowers, tomatoes and cucumbers -

First dahlia out (Dilys Ayling) - 



The depleted, frost damaged succulent collection is slowly recovering -



 

Vebenna bonariensis has self-seeded into every paving stone gap and is putting up a fierce fight each time I try to get to the washing line -

I've been trying to stay colour coordinated in this season's chazza & carbooty shopped floaty clothes -

Let's not forget to add the detail!


I hope that you are keeping well. I hope to catch up with blog reading very soon. For the time being, please send gossip. 

Lulu xXx











.

 


Comments

  1. Hello Lulu. I hope you are feeling slightly less pressured now. The weather was much too hot for me in June and I hope July and August won't be as hot (fingers crossed!). I am looking forward to the cooler Autumn weather... Your garden looks as though it is coping admirably with the drought and restrictions and the play shed looks great!
    Have a good week.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellie, hope you are well. We have a lovely steady rain today. The grass is green again! I am so behind on blog reading, but hope to be shortly doing the rounds... xXx

      Delete
  2. What a fun outfit! I love the explosion of floral and the pleated skirt is so lovely.
    You look fantastic.
    As always, I enjoyed seeing your garden.
    I've been away from the blog too due to work.
    Now, I'm on a much deserved break and really happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivana ! I have to dance it out when I'm in that outfit ;) I hope that you have had a lovely break xXx

      Delete
  3. Hello Lulu! I was about to express pity for your poor, water deprived garden, but it's still looking glorious! We had biblical rain yesterday - and a hail storm, so the water butt's full again thankfully.
    I hope life in the pressure cooker doesn't continue for too long.
    Loving the outfit (especially that gorgeous metallic skirt). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire, great to hear from you. Lucky you for having a full water butt. Will be over to catch up soon ... xXx

      Delete
  4. dear lulu!
    than belt is a stunner - buckle AND colour wise..... and chic outfit!!
    sorry to hear you were cooked that hard ;-D
    thank goodness nobody was hurt from the café fire......
    i´m very envious about the beach at your doorstep - we only have the river but that is almost dried out. its hot here too and the rain homeopathic.
    but your garden still looks beautiful with all that pretty flowers and yummy veggies!
    a big hooray for your handy dad!
    stay cool! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate :) Dad's done a fab job on the playhouse. If it wasn't so small, I 'd be tempted to move in! xXX

      Delete
  5. Lovely to catch up with you, Lulu! In spite of the heat and the lack of rain, your garden isn't looking too bad at all. You should see mine. Or better not!
    The play shed's roof is looking fantastic. What luck your Dad found the wood for free, and that it was exactly the right size! Well done for finding the shed felt at the carbooty!
    I'm sorry to hear life's been a bit of a pressure cooker for you lately - I can relate - but you're looking a picture in your gorgeous floaty clothes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann :) Ah yes, the wood was meant to be. Dad picks up super things at the carbooty, as does Mumrah. Catch you soon xXx

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks gorgeous, Lulu! I have preferred this summer to the last two as we have had RAIN! I don't have an outside tap - the bane of my life - so rely on water butts and trusty watering cans. It was a hard slog so this year has been so much more relaxing! I am going to copy your idea of the overturned pail with succulents. I filled an old wheelbarrow with them and they look terrific so the pail will be a welcome addition. Snazzy outfit! Taking your role as a garden host very seriously. Goodbye and good gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catmac, so good to see you back on here. Glad this year has been more relaxing in the garden for you. The pail is a pudding pot. Got it from the chazza for 50p. I have to turn it on its side as I forgot to drill holes in the bottom before I planted it up! Of course one should always do a garden tour in a fabulous outfit. No one want to see the reality of my grubby crocks & paint splattered, ripped jeans ;) xXx

      Delete
  7. As always a pleasure to see your garden. A touch of magic regarding the play shed. Shows the wood was meant for you. All good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mike, hope that you are well. I am so chuffed with dad's roofing job. As I type the rain is falling & it is water tight :) xXx

      Delete
  8. That banana courgette looks fabulous. Mine are a bit behind but they're getting there. Love your pretty flowery top. I reckon if people can't grow flowers then they should wear them. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cherie, got any courgette recipes? I can't keep up with them. Some look like truncheons by now! They are tastier than the green ones though xXx

      Delete
  9. Hello gorgeous! I hope you're feeling less pressured now and that your glorious garden is surviving the endless deluge, I've come back from Greece and am appalled at the state of ours and its too bastard wet to do anything about it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vix, I hope that you've since had some dry spells. I am so behind with blog reading, I shall have to pop over to see your Greek Odyssey! Raining here today so biscuits, tea & bloggy catch up on the agenda :) xXx

      Delete
  10. Don't you look fabulous in your car booty! I feel like you need a key made out of rubies, strung on a black satin ribbon round your neck with it! Beautiful!
    Your garden is looking resplendent despite the lack of rain.
    Your dad did well on the shed- that's amazing that stuff was being chucked!
    I love the defying gravity nature of the Verbena Bonariensis!
    I got a lovely Tamarind plant as a present from a child this week- I thought you'd appreicate that!
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kezzie. Oh drat, I forgot to add my treasured rubies to the outfit! ;) That Verbena Bonariensis was getting a bit too unruly so ended up in some bouquets. How exciting to get a Tamarind plant, amongst the biscuits and booze ! I wonder if it will fruit for you xXx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

There's no place like home

A good natter in the garden

Trunky bits