Dot dot dot

 Hello m' dotties,

long mizze garden

It has been a wonderful Easter weekend. You can probably guess where I've spent most of it?

Of course, the garden!


Since September I've been missing some packets from the Alpine Garden Society seed swap. It was driving me potty as I had looked everywhere for them. I had intended to sow the remaining seeds in autumn. All the logical places were checked: the potting bench, my tupaware store in the fridge, the cold cupboard in the downstairs toilet. 

Then on Friday night, as I was Marie Kondo-ing the living daylights out of the airing cupboard (as one does on a Friday night), they revealed themselves. They had been sat in the sun lotion basket! Well, I had to do celebratory dance and found it hard to sleep after all that excitement.


Before they escaped again, I got them sown into freshly washed pots and window propagator. Fingers crossed it's not too late and they hatch ok.

The lost alpine seed list

  • From South Africa: Romulea gigantea,  Lacanalia carnosa & Lacanalia klipranensis
  • From the Alps /Pyranness: Gentiana acaulis, G. acaulis 'Stumpy' & Physoplexis comosoa
  • From Chile: Trapaeolum autropurpureum
  • From Nepal / Kashmir: Rosocea alpina 
A reet posh compost heap

This year I hope to make more space for edibles. Food prices have rocketed, so it makes sense. This means making a couple of new beds, so I do not lose my beloved flowers. I am half way through this process, so I shan't do the grand reveal just yet.

Please excuse me while I do a little note to my future self - 
I have planted some elephant garlic in the old vege bed. 
Let's hope I manage to grown more than £5 worth of garlic in return.
 

I'm going to crack on in the garden this afternoon.
I shall leave you with a couple of little videos should you have the time, inclination, and most importantly a cuppa at hand to watch. 
 
The first is a garden update -
 

 
The second video is a little trip we had to the Marconi Musuem by Poldu Cove. 
This is where the first transatlantic wireless transmission was made.


 
There's so much wonderful history and stories associated with this place. Something I didn't have time to mention  - the white building in the photo, now a nursing home, was a newly built hotel when the young Italian / Irish Marconi arrived in 1900. Apparently Marconi was quite an charismatic character and liked life's luxuries, so would always make sure there was a good hotel nearby.

 
The wooden hut is home to the Poldu Amateur Radio Club  - a group of volunteers and HAM radio enthusiasts. I am seriously thinking about building my own radio rig and applying for a license. These kind of skills would be useful in any post-apocalyptic scenario.

Last night I caught a bit of BananaJSSI's live stream on You Tube - he lives on Vancouver Island, where he runs a palm nursery. With his radio setup he was able to randomly communicate with someone from Niue Island in the Pacific (between Tonga & the Cook Islands - we had to google it). 
 
Radio still has the ability to be magic!


Something else also not elaborated on in the video - it was Professor John Ambrose Fleming that helped design the wireless station and transmitter. He too spent quite a bit of time at Poldu, going on to invent the diode valve in 1904. It is his nephew that donated the old chair that we can see in the museum's control room. He remembers as a lad Fleming would sit him on his knee on that chair, at his Devon home.




That's all for today folks.
 
I hope you are keeping well. What have you been up to this weekend?

Lulu xXx
 
 
 
Please remember to bike, plumbs up & subside on YouTubey HERE

More recent blog posts can be founds here - 

https://longmizzle.blogspot.com/





Comments

  1. Ah how lovely to take a trip through Mullion to the Marconi Museum. A trip down memory lane as I've once stayed at a lovely B&B in Mullion and walked on the Lizard. I was aware of the Marconi link at the time, but the museum wasn't there yet, I think. Looks like its well worth a visit.
    Well done of finally finding those long-lost seeds - I wonder what I'd find if I Marie Kondo'd our airing cupboard. Good luck with your veggie beds and I am truly impressed with your "reet posh" compost heap! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann, oh Mullion is so pretty, & the Lizard so wild. The museum opened at the end of 2001 I believe, to commemorate 100 years. I am half tempted to Marie Kondo all the other wardrobes now, as part of my mutant spring clean! Glad you liked the compost heap :) xXx

      Delete
  2. I'm clearly a thicko... I thought you'd been watching mama Mia dot dot dot. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh!?! Having never watching either of the Mama Mia movies, I was not aware of this Cherie! Eugh, it's going to be cheesy isn't it. They're going to spontaneously break into song whilst talking. Greece 2 is the only musical I can handle, & that's because it's SO bad it's brilliant ;) xXx

      Delete
    2. You haven't missed anything it was cheesier than cheddar. X would you like some banana courgette seeds. I'm trying them for the first time this year.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes please Cherie! :) :) :) I only really like the yellow courgettes, as opposed to green. I am trying not to buy seeds this year, but rather use up all my stash or do swapsies. I shall have to have a peek to see what I have & send you and email.... xXX

      Delete
    4. I'll put a little package together for you. Don't buy seeds I have loads I can send

      Delete
    5. Thanks Cherie love ❤❤❤

      Delete
  3. Dear Lulu
    I hope all the gardening is going well. If the weather co-operates, gardening is on my 'to do' list too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie :) Weather's turned all vicious down here today! Hope it's better for your to do list xXx

      Delete
  4. glad you found the alpine seeds!
    wish you luck with them - and with the garlic and the veggies..... your garden looks picture perfect - esp. the compost heap :-D
    i too have a week spot for amateur radio communication. this hobby saved some actual lifes over the years - very interesting history......
    happy spring my dear! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate :) You have rail engineers' spirit, so it does not surprise me that you are into radio communication. I bet it comes in handy in the vast forest too. Springy chics to you xXx

      Delete
  5. Happy you found the seeds Lulu. I get so annoyed at myself whenever I lose something. I'm forever tidying up, putting things in safe places and then forgetting where those safe places are. I'm like a squirrel in that respect!
    I'm also crossing my fingers that you are rewarded with plentiful gigantic garlic bulbs!
    I shall set aside some time to watch your videos - my attention was piqued at your radio rig/license idea. A post apocalyptic world feels like a very real prospect these days. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks squirrel Claire! I haven't tried elephant garlic before so it should be interesting. Last night the eldest tot & I re-watched Dustin in Stranger Things rigging up his ham radio & accompanying walkie talkies :) xXx

      Delete
  6. Oh it is so annoying when you 'know' that you had something and you 'know' that they are safely 'somewhere' but ... WHERE?!? then when you do find them ... either there is a dawning recollection of 'oh yes, I remember now duh' or (this is me more and more these days...) 'what the hell are they doing here? I still don't remember that!' 🙄🤪😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh safe places are too safe sometimes! It is amazing I ever find anything in some of our cupboards really :0 xXx

      Delete
  7. Strange how such things as seeds can keep disappearing. I'm always missing something or other! My gosh it's blowing a gale at the moment, the trees are dancing. All good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's those Cornish piskies Mike ;) It was quite a storm that passed over in the week wasn't it. Hope you are well xXx

      Delete
  8. Its so annoying when you misplace something, especially when you "put it in a safe place"! Of course you could keep a little notebook where you record where these items have been left; you'd need to know where the notebook is so best to put it in a safe place! 😯
    I enjoyed having a look around your garden, you're way ahead of mine. I did some seed sowing a few days ago, some toms for growing outdoor and Zinnias for my tubs. I also enjoyed the two videos, as a retired BT Telephone I found the Marconi museum fascinating.
    Enjoy the weekend, our weather here is dire but better soon. 😊 🐕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Marconi video David :) Well done on getting the tomatoes sown, I'm still yet to do that. The littlest one sowed some Zinnias for me during the week. I hope the weather has improved for you. We had the storm pass over at the start of the week, but it has been a lovely sunny day today xXx

      Delete
  9. Of course, I'm not a telephone!.....I WAS a telephone engineer! DOH... 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification David! I didn't know being a telephone could be a career ;) :) :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

Singing to the Seedlings

A good natter in the garden

There's no place like home