Hello m' shivering timbers, My ideal birthday treat ? Forget the champagne, diamonds and posh restaurant. Boring! But a wee road trip to a weird plant nursery and reclamation yard full of rusty junk.... now that's my cuppa!!! It is not often I head out west across the Cornish Peninsula, Penzance way. There are pirates in these parts after all. Back in the early 2000s, whenever I visited my brother, we'd visit a fantastic reclamation yard in Longrock. It was by an old railway line that overlooked the glittering deep blue of Mount's Bay. I'd mostly leave empty handed, but would dream of having my own truck and place to fill with plants and wonderful junk. I remember there was an old long haired hippy that ran it. It was rumoured he liked to visit India. The sound of world music would drift through the rickety building and out-structures. Somewhere I have some dusty photographs that I took of it back then. One day, when I drove past, it had gone. Longrock never drew ...
Hello m' chucky chives, With allotment duties in full swing, you may be wondering if the garden is receiving the same wanton neglect as my eyebrows?... The answer, in short...is yes... but it doesn't seem to mind. When we moved in over eleven years ago, the garden was wildly overgrown, 'lost' and magical. A lot had to be cleared for practicality - mainly the monstrous leylandi hedging, but also the wild brambles, nettles and creeping buttercup. Self seeded Foxgloves and Sweet Williams Now the new hedging has grown up and matured, the once veggie beds and cut flower beds are again partially shaded. This had led to a garden re-think. For now, nature can do what it does best. Please ignore the non-colour coordinated towels, drying from this morning's sea swim with the kiddies. My new battery powered strimmer (intended for the grass paths at the allotment) saves the day in the garden, by clearing a safe path through the wilderness of ferns, thistles and...
Hello m' piskies, Shhh, not many people know it, but there's a little fairy colony on the outskirts of Truro (spot the Enchanted trail on the map here ). High up in the trees a wise owl presides over the comings and goings and all is at peace. Wooden trip trap bridges lead beside a stream and the path is edged with fallen branches. The fairies are shy, but the occasional creature can be found. Why are owls deemed to be wise? Although their brains are no bigger than any other birds' (in fact their eyes are so flippin' big, there may not be much room for brains, and they are positively slow compared to the cunning crow) ... they sit silently, watching and listening. Their nocturnal nature and spinning heads make them appear like an omnipresent all seeing eye. The Ancient Greeks believed owls' night vision and stealth flight abilities lent them a mystical inner light. Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom and War adopted the owl and was often depicted with one. When to be we...
Just a quick one today m' crystal gazers, Following my recent illegal island grab* (see here ), and another couple of camping trips, I temporarily landed back at my beloved Longmizzle just in time for autumn. The garden feels neglected and confused. The Rhododendron is in flower and my poor pumpkins have split due to a September heatwave. *I was forceably removed by the authorities that be. In other weird phenomena news... During the heatwave we saw hundreds of Crystal Jellyfish washed up at Coverack Cove. A rare site to see in the UK, they glow in the dark and aimlessly float with the warm tides. Crystal Jellyfish - Coverack Cove, Cornwall (9th September 2023) There was a strange static energy hovering in the air. That night an almighty electrical storm struck, with forked lightening and the loudest thunder I have ever encountered. The earth beneath the tent shook. By morning, rather than feeling tired through lack of sleep, I felt super charged by jump leads. ...
Hello campers, I awoke early Friday morning to the agonizing low groans and high pitched wails of Storm Eunice. Already she commanded the hills, as she stalked up and down the estuary. Peering out of the rattling, whistling windows, I could see plastic bags and plant pots dancing through the air. Uncertain seagulls seemed to be stranded up in the stratosphere. By 10am the strangest piece of debris had arrived at the front gate - an erect tent. The tent proceeded to jump over and perform a series of impressive flippy spinnerooney somersaults. As advised by the red/ amber weather warning for Cornwall, we stayed indoors... flash backs to the dreaded home schooling. The occasional sun was deceptive. Toppled bamboo Squiffy voodoo arch The weekend weather hasn't been any better really and cabin fever has well and truly kicked in! It is even still too wild for 'Drive by Watercolours' - How to do 'Drive by Watercolours' - 1) Pick a rainy day 2) ...