Faces in the trees

Hello October and hello you! Hope you are keeping well.

I don't think we're ever too old to do a bit of autumn treasure hunting, do you? I still marvel at fir cones and conkers and I do love the occasional monkey swing in a tree (move aside kids!). Here I am, sensibly dressed in my back to school satchel, green flasher mac and sturdy boots at Enys Garden, Penryn. (p.s. that's not a scout tie, it's my homemade face mask)

Just look at these jubilant Kniphofias, soaking up every last ray of sunshine, reflecting back the sun's happiness, face to face. Even the old handsome Enys house seemed to enjoy warming its stones, humming contentedly with the goings on of a socially distanced antiques fair inside.

  Set away from the house, there are quieter, hidden spaces and a newly uncovered woodland glen.

The joy of having a year's pass to a garden is seeing it change throughout the seasons and learning more about it with each visit. I have mentioned in a previous post here that Enys is particularly exciting because it is in a phase of renovation and it is constantly changing. 

Here an area has been tidied to reveal hollowed out trees and sculptural logs -

Below:  a mossy abyss, a creeping octopus and an enormous crocodile waiting to snap?!

What can you see in this tree? (I can see a proud lion's face, complete with hairy mane)

A stone, thatched hut to take shelter in, or a lookout for goblins! -

I love the meandering pea shingle paths in the flower garden, edged with white rocks.

New port holes have been cut into the hornbeam hedges, giving glimpses of the orchard beyond.

We stopped at the lower end of the orchard to play an epic game of apple ball...an old fashioned version of football...but using an apple  and with feral rules (tripping up, grabbing of hoods, hurtling of bodies and face-palm-plants allowed).

Here are some lovely panoramic shots Monsieur took on his phone...




After our glorious weekend, the weather turned again midweek, but not before I had chance to tip out our last bag of lock down tatties (the others were ready in June - so they've stored surprisingly well) and collect cucumbers, a sensibly sized courgette and more sun ripened tomatoes.
 
With storm Alex due to sweep in this afternoon, we plan on battening down the hatches! This weekend's comfort food will be pancakes with hot apple sauce made from our home grown Braeburns. We will be using the tatties in a Spanish Omelette later in the week.

 
We had a phone call to the house line during the week. This always arises suspicion, as most people call our mobile. I could hear Monsieur doing his usual Fawlty Towers routine "OH YES... YES... WHO?... YOU ARE! ARE YOU?..." at which point I heard 'daffodils' being mentioned. I quickly grabbed the phone. 
 
It was non other than Mr Ron Scamp of Scamp's Daffodils and I had to profusely apologise for Monsieur's rudeness. I explained we get a lot of nuisance calls and that he was lucky I hadn't played the trombone down the phone to him! (I can't actually play it, but this has never stopped me) Anyhow, Mr Scamp took it all in good spirit as he's a jolly chap. He explained he was one bulb short on the 'Polar Ice' white daffodils I had ordered, and would I like it topping up with 'Dallas' instead. I said yes please, of course I'd give them a go (Dallas has an 80s glam ring to it). 
 
A lovely box of plump, top quality bulbs arrived yesterday. I wouldn't have even missed that one bulb! Ron had thrown in a few extra Dallas bulbs.  Now that's good customer service for you! I can't wait to plant them.

That's all for today folks, stay safe and speak soon,

Lulu xXx

P.S. Please do drop me a message if you have stopped by, it's good to natter x







 

 


Comments

  1. Hi Lulu! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos of Enys Garden. What a magical place for your little 'uns to explore. I'm counting the days until I'm allowed out of the gates again and can explore some beautiful NT gardens.
    Love your autumnal outfit and those Kniphofias, something I've never managed to grow successfully. I'm forever finding conkers, acorns and feathers in my pockets, I still think I'm 8 and collecting for the nature table at school.
    What wonderful service from the bulb man! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix :) You are so lucky having so many National Trust properties close by. If anyone can do quarantine in style, you can. Show them naughty scutters how it’s properly done! I haven’t ever tried Kniphofias, but they seem to do quite well on the seafront here. I am going to try your conker spider-repellent trick…. Lulu xXx

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post, Lulu. Your photos are delightful. I would love to go to an antique fair but there's nothing on here at all. I always have bowls of sweet chestnuts and netfuls hanging from ceilings. I think it deters but doesn't repel spiders. Those blighters are very fond of my house, in particular, the claw-shaped ceiling lights I have which are perfect for creating cobweb bunting! I collected leaves and seed heads on my last walk around a beautiful local park and have tucked them into fruit bowls, around candles (careful!) and anywhere else that cries out for some autumn colour! It's a beautiful time of year. My garden is beginning to look a bit scruffy now as flowers are beginning to fade but there is still lots of colour. Not quite ready for cutting down but it won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catmac! The antiques fair was good, though I am too used to spending 50p on chazza shop items, rather than £50 + ! I did treat myself to a house plant though :) Haha, cobweb bunting...well it I suppose it is Halloween soon! We have a lot of those spindly spiders that vibrate when you near them. Last night, one was bungee jumping up and down from our living room light when we were trying to play chess. It was a welcome distraction. That’s a good idea on the nets of sweet chestnuts. Glad you are enjoying autumn too. Lulu x

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're still playing the trombone down the phone to nuisance callers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, who goes there then? ..someone who knows about my failed concert trombonist past?... The musical saw is also a good one to play to nuisance callers x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

There's no place like home

A good natter in the garden

All quiet now Dorothy