Among My Swan

 Hello from mizzly Long Mizzle,

There's been some wonderfully moody hues and inky blues washing through the garden this week. The trees are starting to bear their witchy lacework and soon we'll be able to see glimpses of the old graveyard and creek beyond.


In exploding colour pallet contrast, the zinnias, 'vanilla ice' sunflowers, dahlias, californian poppies and  river lilies jump out, even if on limited time now. This may be one of the last tomato and pepper harvests from the greenhouse. A rogue mutant snail seems to be trying to finish our harvest off.

This lone 'Apache' chilli is reserved for Monsieur's heat bomb challenge. He likes to give it the large that he is now heat tolerant. Much to the ridicule of my hardcore Manc friends, when I first met him twenty years ago, a mild korma was about as much heat as he could handle. 

Eager eyed and with great anticipation, the sprogs and I present the chilli to him on a plate and wait for the culinary drama to unfold. It is always worth growing chilies just for this, even if Monsieur does call it schadenfreude, I call it karma!
 

This was the week I 'Marie Kondoed' all my summer dresses, deciding that yes, they do all spark flippin' joy! Closing the suitcase, I  hoped that by next summer, the Covid situation would be greatly improved and the world approaching a phase of healing and hugging again. I don't want to sound like John Snow of Game of Thrones, but these dresses know that "wn'trs coming"(said in an exaggerated northern accent)... and I don't think they want to see it.

A couple looked as bright as Halloween pumpkins, so I pulled them back out, just in case I need them for next week.



A quick update on the Hyacinths... Mam and I started two more Bulb Vases off . The ones we planted just over a week ago (see my last post here) have already rooted. We brought them into the light just to photograph, but they will be staying in Mumrah's Glass Emporium (otherwise known as 'the garage') for another month at least.

Back home at Long Mizzle, I have been busy planting out daffodils bulbs - some in the ground, some in pots. This old swan planter really is past its best - hence why someone dumped it, but I just couldn't resist saving it. It now contains a white daffodil variety called 'smooth sails', which I thought quite appropriate. I am on the look out for some feathery winter bedding or foliage for the top (suggestions welcomed).


Swans always remind me my old student friend and housemate, who found a huge fibreglass fairground swan (the type you could sit on) washed up on Brighton Beach. We were a household of crazy young, mad art heads: a sculptor, musician, potter and photographer. We never did receive all our holding deposit back - something about various heavy items having to be removed via skip from the property - including 'one giant fairground swan' and 'fifteen bags of clay'. These were the days before 'freecycle', but I like to think someone skip dived everything and the swan still lives on.

The swan theme continues indoors with this chazza shopped 50p pot. This is where my air plant (Tillandsia ionantha 'Druid') sits with no soil or water. Every fortnight, the lovely green druid has a one hour soak in tepid water. It is a perfect houseplant. I'm pretty sure I have forgotten to water it a couple of months at a time.


This 'Vriesea era' (above, front) is the house plant I bought from the Enys Fayre a few weeks back. It has a little cup in the crown that can be flushed with rainwater each week (not tap water - they do not like the salinity). The roots are to remain relatively dry. Each house plant brings its own fascinating adaptations on dealing with water, or a lack of it, reflecting the part of the world they hail from. Both airplants (Tillandsia) and Vriesea can be found around South America.

 

Each morning when I wake up, I sing hello to my little sprouted seedlings that will become part of next year's cut flower patch- Achillas, Cornflower and Ammis Majus. The ones in the greenhouse, bar the sweet peas, have not germinated yet, so Monsieur may have to get used to even more pots of mud in the house soon.

Colour snap! The pink River Lilies colour co-ordinate with the pillow cases!

As custodian of a small stretch of old cornish dry stone wall, I have been trying to remove all the choking ivy without pulling out the stones. I'd absolutely love to go on a dry stone walling course to learn to do repairs and even build one from scratch.

I never take the strimmer to it, as there is just so much wildlife sheltering here- slow worms, frogs, stick insects, probably even field mice, as the cats are always very interested in it. I can't bear to see sliced up wild life.

These are my favourite ferns that grow naturally in the stone work - Hart's Tongue (Asplenium scolopendrium)

The dampest, shadiest part also has beautiful spongey moss... It really is a true definition of a living wall!


 

Finally, I can't go without mentioning my new, cosy kimono from kinky_melon! Just when I thought the season of floating around the garden in a silk kimono was over ... I discover quilted kimonos exist!!!!!  (I am a big fan of VintageVixen's blog  - it is so colourful and has endlessly cheered me up since stumbling across it during lockdown).

 

That's all for today. I hope that whatever you are up to involves colour and spice and maybe even some cake!

Please let me know how your week's been, gardening or otherwise.

Big flowers to you,


Lulu xXx

 

[Title Reference:  'Among My Swan' is a Mazzy Star album . Hear the track 'Rose Blood' here]

 

Most recent posts can be found here 


 




 




Comments

  1. Wow, love the flowers, my middle son would love that chilli. It’s quite funny because air plants in japan are really cheap like 100 yen or 70p and I have them all around the house, some big some small.
    Plant bulbs can be quite expensive over here. So you have to try and grab them in sales. I do fancy growing a hyacinth but My husband hates the smell. I remember when we went to Amsterdam a couple of years ago as a stopover and we bought lots of tulip bulbs. From the bulb market near the canal, I would love to grow those again. But not what they cost here.
    Keep safe allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allie Jane, I had no idea air plants are so cheap to buy in Japan. I bet your place looks amazing filled with them. (I did have another larger, purpley, more sculptural one – though I’m afraid I made the mistake of putting it on a warm window ledge and forgot to bath it). I know Amsterdam well and would love another trip. I particularly love the Jordaan area – full of flea markets, amazing coffee shops and the quirkiest gig venue I’ve ever seen (looks like someone’s living room, but then you step through a bookcase and flights of steps descend into an underground bat cave).Lulu xXx

      Delete
  2. Hello, quilted kimono! I'm so glad you found your rightful home, you look amazing on Lulu!
    Yet another joyful post that makes me want to grab my gloves and go play in the garden. Long Mizzle is an absolute joy, still bursting with colour, spice and interest so late in the season. Dry stone walls fascinate me. We've just got a wonky rockery but all the neighbourhood cats love it and it's home to a billion mice.
    Love your summer wardrobe and the hyacinth vases. We drove past the old Chance glass factory yesterday and I gave it a wave.
    The story about the swan made me giggle!
    Have a fab week, Lulu! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I am proper chuffed with the kimono. I didn’t realize the old Chance Factory is the landmark derelict building that can be seen from the M5. It would be wonderful if they do re-develop the site. I’ve seen an artist’s sketch with a lighthouse included. (My mam has quite a handkerchief vase collection – I just love the zingy colours) Dry stone walls are just a mystical marvel aren’t they? They’ll outlive us all. Lulu xXx

      Delete
  3. Hi Lulu! I still can't subscribe to your blog so I have to keep an eye out via Vix's blog for new posts (I absolutely love Vix's blog too!}. You've written another great blog and thank you for showing the update on your hyacinths. I have been keeping an eye out for hyacinth vases but, unfortunately, to no avail though the hunt continues. Had such a laugh at Monsieur's chilli! I always grow chilli plants but just from those I buy from Aldi's. I have bought unusual chillies from growers before and the expensive ones died a death or had a very lean harvest and the cheap flourished. Lesson learned! This year, "tangerine chilli" (Aldi, right) was beautiful on the plant but could not have been milder if it tried. The others, "red chilli" have a pleasant heat. I just think that chilli plants are like living fairy lights and bring such joy whatever the flavour! Love you in your kimono and love your view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catmac, many thanks for bearing with me! I think I’ve now added the right ‘subscribe’ gadget (on blog homepage – just below Title - https://longmizzle.blogspot.com) where you can add your email and get updates via FeedBurner. I’ve added my old email as a test (the confirmation email did not arrive immediately for me), but shan’t know until my next post if it works…

      The Apache Chilli was in the B&Q reduced section (50p special) about four years ago. The first year we had an abundance of chillies, and with each year less so. I know you’re not meant to keep them for more than one year, but I like to experiment. A while ago, I was listening to a piece on Radio 4’s Gardeners Question time about the famous Langholm Chilli growing club in Scotland (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-45562914) There are some mega chilli connoisseurs out there aren't there! As I’m the only one in the house that can handle them really, the cheap and cheerful ones will do for me too. Sounds like Monsieur would prefer the ‘Tangerine’ Chilli ;) 'Living fairy lights', that's a lovely way of describing them. Take care, Lulu x

      Delete
    2. I've put in a subscription request. Fingers crossed, Lulu! I really enjoy your blog!

      Delete
    3. Fingers crossed this end too. If it doesn't work, I'll bash my laptop, or myself, with a wooden mallet! Aiming to do a new post on Halloween.... :0

      Delete
  4. PS thanks for the Langholm Chilli Club link. How fabulous! Morrison's is still selling tiny chilli plants for £1 with pretty chilli fruits. Obviously I had to buy three different varieties. They are imaginatively labelled "chilli plant" but they are adorable just as a houseplant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the link about Langholm Chilli Club (“the chilliest place in Scotland”) Catmac. Great isn't it! I'm tempted to join myself. I wish we had a nearby Morrisons, that's a cracking deal. You’ll have to let me know where they live on the heat:spice richter scale, should you decide to eat them. Haha, Lidl have some great houseplants sometimes, but annoyingly do vague plant labels too. Lulu xXx

      Delete
  5. Hi lulu i found you via Vix what a lovely blogger you are, love the kimono it looks snug. I share your interest in living wall type gardening houseplants and just about everything else too so will be following, not lurking. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, thank you for visiting and saying hello. It is always lovely to connect with other bloggers. I look forward to coming over and taking a proper look at your beautiful silk paintings when I get a good moment, with a pot of tea and some biscuits of course! Lulu xXx

      Delete
  6. Wow what a great blog you have. I am new to gardening (another lockdown convert) and spent a happy hour in the local garden centre buying seeds. Tomorrow I will be planting bulbs. I look forward to following your blog and learning some tips. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your message. An hour in the garden centre sounds like heaven. What did you buy? I don’t think there’s anything more exciting than a packet of seeds! I can see at a glance you have a blog involving yoga and a VERY cute dog, so I will definitely be taking a good look. Happy bulb planting! Lulu xXx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

Singing to the Seedlings

There's no place like home

A good natter in the garden