Thank goodness it's the weekend

Hello again, how are you? I've got the kettle on if you've got the biscuits.

I can breath a sigh of relief now I've sat my two RHS exams and finished work for the week. It has been one of those type of fortnights that I was not looking forward to: juggling childcare, exams and traditionally the busiest time of year in the office. The exams went well and fingers crossed,  I think I've done enough to complete my RHS Certificate in Plant Growth, Propagation and Development.

Ah the magic powers of a bowl of water and some beach towels... hours of entertainment. This weekend will be spent making the most of our last pre-schooler days. Our littlest is due to start school and she's bound to get the 'tude' (attitude).  As my eldest said one month into her first year at school - 'I'm not cute, I'm four years old!!!

Last Sunday, I escaped the house and children to prepare for my exams. Thankfully, my folks have a nice, quiet house and garden. My wonderful mam kept the cups of tea coming whilst I sat under the sunbrella going over my notes. This beautiful climbing rose was already in their garden when they moved in. Is anyone able to identify it? Mam said she had yellow roses when she married dad.

These honeysuckle berries looked beautiful with the late afternoon sun filtering through. Here's a succulent filled shell I made for my dad two years ago, doing well hanging from the fence. Now, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it was hard to escape the feeling that I was being watched...

Back home, I tipped out another tub of homegrown baby carrots. I was convinced we had sown all Rainbow Mix carrots, so I'll have to re-check the labels, as these were all orange. They were delicious, honey roasted with our Sunday dinner.

As I had today off, the littlest and I hit Falmouth's Gylly Beach after dropping the big one and Monsieur off at work / school. Here's a picture taken at 09:15 this morning. Heaven!

You can't see it here, but it was incredibly windy. After lots of tickle chase, cricket and making sand mermaid tails, we retreated to Queen Mary Gardens for our flask of coffee and biscuits . The hedges that sit between Gylly beach and the Gardens have got to be one of the best examples of a double planted, living windbreak. In the winter, when the coast is battered by gales, the gardens can be surprisingly sheltered.

The warm, coastal micro climate makes it perfect for subtropical species such as Gunnera, Protea, Echium and Yuccas. In the back ground you can see 'Paul Robinson Towers' as I call it (Neighbours soap opera reference) nearing completion. It sits where the Falmouth Beach Hotel dramatically burnt down in 2012. There's a story behind that but I'll save it for another blog post.

Above: Beautiful Sedum, Tree Echiums and Monterey Pines.

To celebrate finishing my exams, I mail ordered the following tulips from local family business Scamps: Green Wave Parrot, Amazing Parrot, Foxtrot and Quebec.  Scamps are famous for their daffodils, and I love white daffodils so this year I am trying: Smooth Sails, Rose of May and Polar Ice. For the first time I am also trying some yellow miniature daffodils called Minnow. 

Ron Scamp is a well know figure to anyone who's visited the Falmouth Spring Flower Show. I've had bulbs from Scamps for the past few years. The catalogue and pictures do not have the swishness of the Sarah Raven catalogue and website, for example. You have to use your imagination a little more (no colour coordinated collections here) , but the bulbs really are superb and I thoroughly recommend them.

https://qualitydaffodils.com/


That's all the gossip for today. I am greatly looking forward to putting my feet up this evening and watching Gardener's World.

Stay safe and I hope that whatever you are up to, you have a lovely weekend,


Lulu xXx


p.s. If you have visited, please drop me a message to say hello.


Latest posts here - https://longmizzle.blogspot.com







Comments

  1. Hello Lulu! I have discovered your post via Vix's blog. I absolutely LOVE your garden. Am pretty certain I'd love your mum's too judging from the glimpses in the photographs! All the best for your exams. Revising has to be one of the worst tasks - not like an essay or project when you have a specific question. Not long now and you can give a sigh of relief and take your life off hold again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catmac, thank you so much for visiting and leaving a lovey message. Yes, I learnt so much for the exams and only a small amount was tested. It is funny, as I always go on to remember the things I got wrong, not right! It has been so nice having a weekend to relax. Hope to see you either here, or over on Vix's wonderful blog soon x

      Delete
  2. Lulu, I loved reading this post of yours and seeing your gorgeous photos. Ahh that beach shot. I wish I could visit a beach right now.

    You're studying plant growth, propagation and development? That's awesome. I'm sure you did well in your exams and after all your study your tulip purchase is well deserved! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, ahh thank you! We are very lucky being close to beaches, but we have been staying away over the summer holidays as they have been packed with tourists. Now the weather is starting to turn, we get empty beaches again! I 'm heading over to your blog now to see what you've been up to.... :) x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted trail

Comfort Blanket

Singing to the Seedlings

There's no place like home

A good natter in the garden